I wish I had some juicy marital drama for you. Like Bryan and I got into a knock down drag out fight which resulted in him barricading the bedroom door leaving me to seek comfort in the arms of our red sofa. Sad and alone, I somehow managed to catch a few hours of sleep, with nothing but Theo's board books to keep me warm. But that is not the case, and I do apologize.
Instead it has to do with chemicals. Of course it does!
We live on the top floor of our apartment complex (ooh fancy!) which is great the majority of the time. But when the roof is being repaired notsomuch. Bryan and I are reasonable people and understand that hey, it has to be done, it's better in the long run and it won't last forever. Construction is another part of life blah blah blah. I wasn't even too put out when scaffolding was placed directly outside our bedroom window. "We'll just keep the blinds closed!" I thought. "Something fun for Theo to gawk at!" I reasoned. We are gone most of the time work is being done anyway so no harm done.
HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HA HA Haaaaa.
Over the weekend the weather was in the upper 90's with bajillion percent humidity. Also, if you recall, I had a horrible headache. We stayed inside all day Sunday to avoid the heat and because I was the walking dead. Sometime that afternoon we noticed the smell of chemicals. In our bedroom. At first it was faint and then it kept getting worse. Upon detection, Bryan noticed that the workers left some buckets on the aforementioned scaffolding. One was labeled PRIMER. Ah HA!
He quickly called our management company and we were told someone would come and take care of it by the end of the day. No one did. And the smell got worse and worse. I was feeling horrible and we were worried about Theo too. His room is right next to ours and we share a vent. Who knows what was getting pumped into the nursery.
Monday we all got the heck out of dodge and Bryan wrote a letter (nice yet assertive) to management requesting this get taken care of IMMEDIATELY. He mentioned our son who has occasional breathing problems, me being sick all weekend, and the fact that IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT TO HAVE FUMES IN OUR HOME. We were assured it would be taken care of. They were even asking us filter sizes for our vents. Progress!
Bryan, Theo and I walked into the house last night and it smelled WORSE. Like oh em gee there has been a science experiment going on. Nothing had been taken care of. Scaffolding still up. Buckets still outside our window. Phone calls, messages, a few choice words. We finally heard from the night maintenance repair guy where he told us, regretfully, that he was not allowed to touch anything on the scaffolding as it was not the complex's property. If the buckets were on our actual balcony he could easily remove them, but that belonged to construction and it would have to wait until morning.
We opened all of the windows on the other side of the apartment to get some sort of air flow, even though it was hot and humid and got to about 85 degrees in the living room. We aired out Theo's room as much as possible and made arrangements for him to go to daycare today (Tuesday is not a day he normally attends but we wanted him out of the house. This also equals more money). I decided to sleep on the couch as the living room was the farthest away from the offending odor. By the end of the night my nose burned. Bryan wasn't feeling the effects as much as me thankfully, and Theo seemed totally fine but still. THIS IS NOT RIGHT. NOR IS IT HEALTHY.
I had a horrible night's sleep as you can imagine, and for some unknown reason Theo was up a full 90 minutes before he normally is. Could it be the fumes? Who knows. Bryan was quick to talk to the construction worker on the scaffolding this morning and wouldn't you know it? Within ten minutes it was down from our window and another ten minutes later it smelled a smidge better. Can't wait to get home and see what awaits us! But I tell you this: if it still smells when I set one foot in that door tonight we are packing up and going to a hotel and sending the bill to our complex. I slept on the couch enough when I was on bed rest. I WILL SUFFER THAT NO MORE!